Jail Release Procedure
When attempting to secure the release of a friend or relative from the Ascension Parish Jail, a bond must be posted with the 23rd Judicial Court system through the Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office. Currently there are three types of bonds that are accepted: Property, Surety, and Cash.
How to post an Appearance Bond
Effective August 1, 2017
- Pick up an assessment certificate on your land from the Assessor’s Office.
- Go to Sheriff’s Office to get the bond amount.
- Purchase a conveyance certificate from the Clerk of Court for $20.00. CASH or DEBIT/CREDIT CARD ONLY
- Purchase a mortgage certificate from the Clerk of Court for $20.00 for the first name, $10.00 each additional name. CASH or DEBIT/CREDIT CARD ONLY
- Go to the Sheriff’s Office to get the bond prepared. The fee is $30.00. CASH ONLY
- Get the bond approved and signed by a 23rd Judicial District Court Judge.
- Get the bond recorded in the Clerk of Court’s Office. The fee is $105 per Appearance Bond. CASH or DEBIT/CREDIT CARD ONLY
- Bring all of the prepared paperwork to the jail where the person is being held.
ALL FEES PAID TO THE ASCENSION CLERK OF COURT ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
The amounts shown in steps 3, 4 and 7 represent fees for the searching of names and property, the processing of certificates and the recordation of the Appearance Bond. Once the work for each step has been completed the fees for each will not be refunded.
How to post a Surety Bond
A Surety Bond is supplied by a state approved bonding agency. There are several bonding agents operating in Ascension Parish. They can be located in the phone book yellow pages or online under “Bail Bonds.” Once contacted, the bonding agent will issue an insurance policy in the amount of the bond. Your bonding agent can guide you through the process. On average bonding agents charge 12% of the amount of the bond as a fee.
How to post a Cash Bond
The total amount of the bond must be paid in either cash or certified funds (money order or cashier’s check). You will get the money back when the arrested person is finished with court and court proceedings. In many cases a form can be signed and any court fines due are held from the deposited funds.
How to cancel an Appearance Bond
Effective August 1, 2017
- Obtain a copy of the recorded bond(s) from the Clerk of Court Recording Department.
- Obtain the certified minutes from the Clerk of Court Criminal Department along with an Order Cancelling Bail Obligation. The fee is $15.00 per minute entry.
- Note: If #4, #5, #6, #7 or #8 is applicable you must first present the order to the District Attorney to sign before the Judge signs the order.
- Note: If #9, #10 or #11 is applicable you must first present the order to the Sheriff’s Office to sign before the Judge signs the order.
- Have a Judge sign the order and bring the order back to the Clerk of Court Recording Department for recordation.
- If the original bond was posted from June 1, 1996 through July 31, 2017 there is no additional cancellation fee. Otherwise, the cancellation fee is $55.00.
- If the property used to post the bond is located outside of Ascension Parish you must follow the same steps listed above; however, bring the signed Order Cancellation Bail Obligation and the certified minutes to the Parish where the property is located.